Welcome!

Welcome to by Blog! I have worked all semester on finding and writing about different types of children's books. I am a Junior at ASU and an Elementary Education major. I teach gymnastics in Boone and love working with children. I hope to teach kindergarten or first grade at an under-privileged school in Charlotte when I graduate.

Thursday, December 3, 2009

Biography- Intermediate (Cultural Diversity)

A Picture Book of John Hancock

Authors: David A. Adler and Michael S. Adler

Illustrator: Ronald Himler

Publisher: Holiday House, 2007

Grade Level: 4-6


John Hancock was born in Massachusetts and went to live with his aunt and uncle after his father died. He received the best education available and eventually attended Harvard University. When his uncle died, John Hancock became the wealthiest 24 year old alive. After the British government passes several harsh taxes and acts against the colonies, Hancock joined the local committee of correspondence. He attended the first Continental Congress and eventually became president of the congress. He was the first man to sign the Declaration of Independence and was "devoted to service, liberty, and the new nation he had helped start".



This book was a great depiction of one of America's founding fathers. It was very informational on both the life of John Hancock and the colonies during the revolution. I think that this book could be easily integrated into a history lesson. Rather than having students read from a textbook, they could learn about America's history through literature. I also really enjoyed the pictures throughout the book because they accompanied the storyline and made everything easily comprehensible. I also like how in the end of the book there was a timeline of historical events that occurred during John Hancock's lifetime. Overall, I think this book could be an excellent teaching tool.

No comments:

Post a Comment