Welcome!

Welcome to by Blog! I have worked all semester on finding and writing about different types of children's books. I am a Junior at ASU and an Elementary Education major. I teach gymnastics in Boone and love working with children. I hope to teach kindergarten or first grade at an under-privileged school in Charlotte when I graduate.

Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Fantasy (Cultural Diversity)

James and the Giant Peach
By: Roald Dahl
Illustrated by: Nancy Ekholm Burkert
Puffin Books, 1961
Modern Fantasy
Grades 5-8

James’s parents are killed by a rhinoceros and he has to live with his two horrid aunts. His aunts treat him poorly and do not allow him to play with any other children. One day he meets a wizard who gives him glowing-green magic crystals. He accidently drops the crystals making a peach the size of a house. As his aunts try to make money off of the spectacular sight, James hides inside of the Peach. He meets and befriends a bunch of insects that were also transformed by the magic. The insects free the peach from the tree allowing it to roll away from the aunt’s house. Seagulls pick up the peach and carry it over Manhattan, sending the town in a frenzy. In the air the inhabitants of the peach save the town from winter precipitation from the cloud-men. When the peach gets stuck on the top of the empire state building, James tells the people what happened and becomes a hero. The pit of the peach is actually a tourist attraction in central park and is available for all to see. James becomes a successful writer and all of his friends find interesting futures in the world of humans.


This book is a Modern Fantasy because the events in the story could never happen. However, the storyline is believable and credible. Also, Dahl starts with realistic events and then gradually moves into the world of fantasy. I really liked this book because I think kids would find it humorous and entertaining. With all of the magic and adventures, I think students would be able to stay interested in the story. I personally read this book at a young age and remember absolutely loving it. I liked how Dahl used fictional characters and . Since I am not teaching middle school, I would probably use this story in an advanced fifth grade class.

No comments:

Post a Comment