Welcome!

Welcome to by Blog! I have worked all semester on finding and writing about different types of children's books. I am a Junior at ASU and an Elementary Education major. I teach gymnastics in Boone and love working with children. I hope to teach kindergarten or first grade at an under-privileged school in Charlotte when I graduate.

Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Nonfiction- Primary

Actual Size
Written and Illustrated by Steve Jenkins
Houghton Mifflin Company, 2004
Nonfiction picture book
Grades K-3

This book teaches kids about different animals that are seen around the world. Some animals it covers is the atlas moth, which is so large that it is often mistaken for a bird, the saltwater crocodile, which is the the world's largest reptile and is a man-eater, and the Siberian tiger, which is the biggest of the big cats. Also, on each page the author tells the length and weight of the animal.

This is a great teaching tool because it would captivate students through it's interesting animals and great illustrations. Also, students would be astonished that the pictures are drawn to scale. In the back of the book, the author goes into further description of all the animals. This book would be great to use in a science lesson. The big pictures and minimal print on each page would be great for young students.

No comments:

Post a Comment