Welcome!

Welcome to by Blog! I have worked all semester on finding and writing about different types of children's books. I am a Junior at ASU and an Elementary Education major. I teach gymnastics in Boone and love working with children. I hope to teach kindergarten or first grade at an under-privileged school in Charlotte when I graduate.

Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Nonfiction- Primary (Cultural Diversity)

What You Never Knew About Beds, Bedrooms, and Pajamas
Written by Patricia Lauber
Illustrated by John Manders
Simons and Schuster Books for Young Readers, 2006
Nonfiction picture book
4-6

This book is a humorous book that tells how different people slept throughout history. It starts with the stone age and tells how the people spent most of their time searching for food. It also tells how the people probably cut boughs from trees and spread hide over them for their beds. Next the book covers the ancient world. The earliest beds we know of are Egyptian beds, which are 7,000 years old. Next the book covers the Greeks and Romans, the Middle Ages, Royal beds, and the greatest moments in bed history.

This book made me laugh as I was reading. It was very humorous, however, informational at the same time. It taught about different cultures of different civilizations throughout history. Children would definitely like this book because it is full of humor and interesting facts. For example, every person who slept during this time period had to be careful of fleas, lice, and bedbugs, which were found in even the fanciest beds. I think that this book could be used to discretely teach students about history, while simultaneously entertaining them. The bright illustrations accompany the text, which would make it easier for students to comprehend.

No comments:

Post a Comment