Welcome!

Welcome to by Blog! I have worked all semester on finding and writing about different types of children's books. I am a Junior at ASU and an Elementary Education major. I teach gymnastics in Boone and love working with children. I hope to teach kindergarten or first grade at an under-privileged school in Charlotte when I graduate.

Monday, September 14, 2009

Picture Book #3- Intermediate

Get Busy Beaver
Carolyn Crimi
Illustrated by Janie Bynum
Orchard Books, 2004
Picture Book
Grades 4-6

This story is about a beaver family who is making their dam. The entire family all work very hard to make their dam larger than their neighbors dam. However, Thelonious, the young boy beaver, is too busy enjoying and appreciating nature. He would rather admire the flowers and ripples in the water, then make a dam. His family constantly asks him to help, but he has no interest. However, one day he gets a brilliant idea to create a masterpiece in the water using all of the beautiful things he sees in nature. Both beaver families admire his masterpiece and decide to incorporate beautiful things into their dams.

I liked this book because I think that it teaches an important lesson. Most of our society is concerned with having the biggest and best things. However, it is important to sometimes stop being so materialistic and enjoy our surroundings. Rather than get wrapped up in competition, it is important to enjoy life and its simple beauties. The teacher could use this in their classroom by asking the students to identify with a member of the beaver family. I also like this book because the illustrations are gorgeous and captivating.

No comments:

Post a Comment