Welcome!

Welcome to by Blog! I have worked all semester on finding and writing about different types of children's books. I am a Junior at ASU and an Elementary Education major. I teach gymnastics in Boone and love working with children. I hope to teach kindergarten or first grade at an under-privileged school in Charlotte when I graduate.

Monday, September 14, 2009

Picture Book #2- Primary

Don't Need Friends
Carolyn Crimi
Illustrations: Lynn Munsinger
Random House, 1999
Picture Book
Grades K-3

Rat and Possum were best friends that lived in a junk yard. One day, Possum had to move to a different junk pile, leaving Rat alone. Rat became very lonely and decided that he didn't need any friends. One day, a grumpy dog moves to the junk yard and also claims that he didn't need any friends. As winter came, the dog became sick and cold. The rat decided to share a meal with the dog and eventually they became best friends.

This story teaches a great lesson to young students. Even though the Rat lost his best friend, he eventually found a new friend. As this story is read, teachers should stress the fact that friends can be found everywhere and it is important to give everyone we meet a chance. This book is easy to follow and the pictures successfully portray the story. I think that everyone can relate to this book at some point in their life and it would be beneficial for students to hear a story like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment