Welcome!

Welcome to by Blog! I have worked all semester on finding and writing about different types of children's books. I am a Junior at ASU and an Elementary Education major. I teach gymnastics in Boone and love working with children. I hope to teach kindergarten or first grade at an under-privileged school in Charlotte when I graduate.

Thursday, September 10, 2009

Alphabet Book

Farm Alphabet Book
Miller, Jane
Prentice Hall 1983
Alphabet Book
Grades K-3

This book teaches young students the alphabet by using words associated to farms. The author uses animals, farm tools, landscapes, vegetation, etc. After the word is introduced, the author then explains what the word is. For example, for the letter "P" the author used Pig. Then, the author says "This is a picture of a mother pig, called a sow. A father pig is a boar. A young pig is a piglet".

I think that this is a creative way for students to learn the alphabet. As the students learn letters, they are also learning about farms and farming. This book could also be integrated into a science class because it has animals, landscapes, vegetation, locations, etc. Overall, I think this is an effective book for teachers to use to teach the alphabet.

No comments:

Post a Comment