Welcome!

Welcome to by Blog! I have worked all semester on finding and writing about different types of children's books. I am a Junior at ASU and an Elementary Education major. I teach gymnastics in Boone and love working with children. I hope to teach kindergarten or first grade at an under-privileged school in Charlotte when I graduate.

Monday, October 12, 2009

Fractured Fairy Tale

Sleepless Beauty
By Frances Minters
Illustrated by G. Brian Karas
Penguin Books, 1996
Fractured Fairy Tale
Grades K-3

This was a modern day story of Sleeping Beauty. When Little Beauty was born, her parents had a party but did not invite the witch from down the street. The witch showed up anyways and put a curse on Little Beauty. On her fourteenth birthday, Little Beauty would cut her finger and would fall into a deep sleep, along with all her family and friends. The witch agreed that after 100 years of sleep, Little Beauty would be awaken by a rock star. Throughout her life, Little Beauty was not allowed to get near anything sharp. On her fourteenth birthday, the Witch tricks her into touching the needle on an old-time vinyl record player. Little Beauty falls asleep, but wakes up the next morning to her alarm. Her alarm played the song of her favorite rock star whom she had contacted and told her dilemma. The rock star was grateful, and they lived happily ever after!
I really enjoyed how the author took a classic story and turned it into a modern day Sleeping Beauty. I really like how the end had a twist to it. The witch said Little Beauty would be awaken by a rock star, however Little Beauty planned for her favorite rock star to play on her radio. Also, this book is in poem form (abcb). The story flows, making it an easy read for young students. The illustrations are quite different from other books because they are not vivid and realistic. They are more dreary and look almost gothic. I think the illustrations contribute to the mood of the story. I really enjoyed this book and will use it in my fractured fairy tale lesson!

No comments:

Post a Comment