Welcome!

Welcome to by Blog! I have worked all semester on finding and writing about different types of children's books. I am a Junior at ASU and an Elementary Education major. I teach gymnastics in Boone and love working with children. I hope to teach kindergarten or first grade at an under-privileged school in Charlotte when I graduate.

Thursday, November 19, 2009

Nonfiction- Primary (Cultural Diversity)

When Everybody Wore a Hat
By: William Steig
HarperCollinsPublishers, 2003
Nonfiction
Grades K-3

In this book, William Steig told about what his life was like in 1916. He was an eight year old boy who spent most of his childhood climbing a tree in the Bronx. In his book, he described his mother, father, and where they lived in New York. He also described the people that lived in the community such as the pretty girl on the block, the moving men, the butcher, the lady on the corner, the doctor, etc. Steig also mentioned World War I, which was taking place in Europe during this time.

This nonfiction book could be used to teach students about the United States during World War I. Steig states that there were "fire engines pulled by horses, boys did not play with girls, kids went to the libraries for books, there was no TV, you could see a movie for a nickel, and everybody wore a hat". When students read this book, they will be interested with Steig's life story, while simultaneosuly learning about American culture during this time period. This would be a great book that could be integrated into a history lesson. I really liked this book and will remember it when I have to teach American culture.

No comments:

Post a Comment